Monday, April 18, 2011

Fitting the Pieces Together

As I reflect on the last seven weeks, I have had some eye opening realizations. I was unaware of the various learning theories and how each one played such a significant role in my learning ability. In week one, I was asked the question, "Have you ever really thought about how you learned before now?" I answered the question with a "yes" and further explained how the behaviorist and constructivist theories best suit my learning style. Before week one, I had given a lot of thought to how I learned but did not know the correct terminology to express it. Additionally, I never knew that my daily learning interactions were supported by different theories.

If we fast forward to the present, with seven weeks of learning under my belt and more knowledge around the many learning theories, I would answer that question differently. The question now asks, "Now that I have a deeper understanding, how has my view changed since week one?" I must say that I had tunnel vision seven weeks ago. I was not connecting the dots before. The first thing I have learned is that there is not a "one size fits all" when it comes to the learning process. There are so many moving parts that make individuals successful at learning. When you think about the learning environment, social networks and media, technology, personal knowledge, etc., it explains why each individuals' learning experience is unique. Now that I have a deeper understanding, I see my learning style in every theory we have discussed. Connectivism really hit home for me because it speaks to the learners' environment and how we connect with different sources. In today's age of technology, this makes sense. The technology that we are exposed to now did not exist when I was an adolescent. Our main source for information back then was the library and/or encyclopedia. Now, we have Google, Facebook, Skype, LinkedIn, and numerous blog sites to send and receive information. There is a massive amount of information out there to the point that is overwhelming and we can use technology to help us filter through it, pulling out only the pieces that you want and need to know.

I have evolved with time and can now see the role technology plays in my learning. As an Instructor, technology helps me to be efficient and resourceful. My facilitation skills have improved with the use of virtual classrooms, Microsoft Live Meeting and Intercall. I also see a change in the learner. My training participants are always so enthused to be a part of the virtual world, especially since most of them have been with the company for 20+ years and have never experienced that learning forum. As an adult learner, I prefer the online environment and the convenience that it provides. I was slightly resistant to change over from the traditional classroom to a virtual one. The driving force today is social interaction and how technology can take us to the next level. The old saying, "you learn something new everyday" is the most truthful statement out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment