Monday, April 4, 2011

Connectivism - Mind Map/Reflection

As I reflect on the resources noted in my mind map, I am grateful for the knowledge and experience each resource provides. First, I will begin with the technological resources. As a Corporate Trainer, it is necessary to continuously learn and master new technology and software to enhance my skill set and learner experience.  Three years ago, my primary role consisted of face-to-face training deliverables.  As the economic conditions changed, my organization redefined our role to include more cost effective ways to teach learners and still receive a comparable lift in performance improvement. With this in mind, the organization introduced Intercall and Microsoft Live Meeting. Intercall and Live Meeting allow me to facilitate training in a virtual world, while giving learners access to similar audio and visual components that are present in the classroom. Comparably, both tools allow me to create an interactive environment that sends and receives information based on the course concepts. Although the technical functionality can not replace the visual connection you receive face-to-face, each tool exposes the learner to different learning methods needed to assist with various learning styles.

Second, the Internet is a powerful resource for learning connections. LinkedIn and Facebook are two dimensions that are relatively new to me. LinkedIn and Facebook are two social networking sites that enhance my development personally and professionally. In terms of connectivism, both tools provide real world knowledge from the perspective of others who are directly affected. If I want feedback on a specific topic, I use both tools to reach out to individuals who I may not otherwise talk to on a regular basis. This is a profound way of receiving numerous view points and expanding my knowledge beyond my own thought process. With this information, I use the knowledge gained and provide real world examples to learners within my organization to create a debate or drive a certain point.

In addition to social networking sites, I cited a few Internet search engines and blog sites in my mind map. I frequently browse these sites to receive information. Connectivism is based on the principle that knowledge and learning takes place within the diverse opinion of others. What better way to gain one's opinion than through a blog site? As I peruse through these sites, I read various thought-provoking ideas and provide my own opinion on the subject matter. I find certain points that are similar to my own along with ideas that I strongly disagree with. I believe this insight provides a "worldly" view and prevents me from having tunnel vision. If I have a question, I can simply pose one to the author or other participants to receive feedback. I have referred colleagues to certain blog sites to gain their opinion which creates another avenue of healthy debate. In reflection, my mind map creates a network of ideas, information, images and reference points that support the connectivism principles.    

No comments:

Post a Comment